About the Grades Tool
The Grades tool contains your grading system calculation settings, grade scheme, grade items, and view and display options. As an instructor, you can determine how to configure your settings to best reflect your approach to evaluation, and according to what is most appropriate for your course.
Grading System and Calculations: Determines how the grade items in your grade book contribute to students’ final grades. The three options are: Weighted (e.g. 82%); Points (e.g. 220/280); Formula (custom formula).
Grade Items: Grade items represent the graded work on which you wish to evaluate students in your course. You can create grade items for specific tasks such as presentations, tests, and participation. You can also create grade items and associate them with activity tools such as Assignments, Discussions, and Quizzes. There are six types of grade items to choose from. Note that only numeric grade items can be associated with other activity tools.
Why Use the Grades Tool?
Use the Grades tool to:
- Provide students the opportunity to check their grades, see class averages, and access feedback on their assignments.
- Centralize the assessment of projects, assignments, tests, etc. that are graded.
- Configure the grading formula used to calculate grades.
- Modify when grades are released to students and what information they see.
Instructor Tips & Best Practices for Grades
You must configure your Grades settings before you can use the Grades tool. As you plan your Grades settings, consider:
- Which grade items do you plan to evaluate?
- Which grading system is most appropriate for your course? Consider keeping your grading system simple so students know the value of each assignment.
- How do you want to calculate final grades? Consider displaying a running total of what is graded by publishing the current calculated final grade.
- How you will allocate points or weights across grade items?
- Which grade items do you want to associate with activity tools?
- How might you use the Grades tool to provide students with regular feedback on how they are doing overall in the course?
- Do you want to include a milestone grade at least once during the course?
NOTE: Making changes to your Grades settings and calculation options after you have entered students’ grades can significantly affect existing data.
Get Started with the Grades Tool
Watch a recording of the Grades Set-up Basics workshop (duration: 36:07). Select the arrow at the bottom center of the video player to view an interactive Table of Contents of the video.
Configure your Grades Settings
- About Grading Systems
- Release Calculated or Adjusted Final Grades
- Set Grade Display Options for Students
- Set Grade Display Options for Instructors
- Grading Schemes
- Using the Setup Wizard
- Recommended Settings
Create your Grade Categories and Items
- About Grade Categories and Grade Items
- Reorder Grade Items and Categories
- Exclude a Grade Category or Item from the Final Grade Calculation
- Restore Deleted Grade Items
- Drop the Lowest Grade from a Grade Category
Bonus (Extra Credit) Grade Items
- Create a Bonus (i.e. optional for extra credit) Grade Item
Preview What Students See
Associate Activities with Grade Items
- Associate an Activity with a Grade Item
- Delete a Grade Item Associated with an Activity
Associate Rubrics with Grade Items
- Best Practices for Entering Grades
- Options for Entering Grades within TCU Online
- Enter Grades for a Single Grade Item for All Students, Sort and Preview Feedback, and Leave Feedback in Bulk
- Enter Grades for Any Grade Item for Any Student (Spreadsheet View)
- Enter Multiple Grades for a Single Student
- Enter Grades for Multiple Grade Items within a Category for All Students
- Grade Associated Activities Using Activity Icons in the Enter Grades Tab
- Give Multiple Students the Same Grade at the Same Time
- Import Grades from a .CSV File or Scantron Grades from a .XLS File
- Enter an Adjusted Final Grade
- About Exemptions
- Exempt Students from Grade Items
- How Grade Exemptions Affect Calculations
- How Grade Exemptions Affect Release Conditions
- View Grade Category Statistics that Include Exemptions
- View Grade Item Statistics that Include Exemptions
Add and Remove Exemptions
- Inaccurate Final Grades
- Recalculate the Final Calculated Grade
- Update Final Grades for a Single Student
- Export Grades
Manage Event Logs
- About event logs
- Access the event log for a student
- Access the event log for an individual grade item
- Access the event log for a student’s final grades
- Access the event log for changes to a grade item’s properties or restrictions
- Solution Spotlight: Tracking Hours for Internships, Practicum or Projects
- Assignment Solution for Hours Tracking – Suggestions for Instructors
- Discussion Solution for Hours Tracking – Suggestions for Instructors