About the Grades tool
The Grades tool contains your grading system, grade calculations, grade scheme, grade items, and view and display options. Grade items represent the graded work on which you wish to evaluate students in your course. You can create grade items for specific tasks such as presentations, tests, and participation. You can also create grade items and associate them with activity tools such as Assignments, Discussions, and Quizzes.
As an instructor, you can determine how to configure your Grades settings to best reflect your approach to evaluation, and according to what is most appropriate for your course.
You must configure your Grades settings before you can use the Grades tool. As you plan your Grades settings, consider:
- Which grade items do you plan to evaluate?
- Which grading system is most appropriate for your course?
- How you will allocate points or weights across grade items?
- Which grade items do you want to associate with activity tools? Note that only numeric grade items can be associated with activity tools.
- Do you want to include a milestone grade at least once during the course?
- How do you want to calculate final grades?
NOTE: Making changes to your Grades settings and calculation options after you have entered students’ grades can significantly affect existing data.
Why use the Grades Tool?
The Grades tool allows you to create a grade book which:
- Allows you to control the grading formula used to calculate grades.
- Allows you to control what projects, assignments, tests, etc. are graded.
- Allows you to submit feedback and grades to students.
- Allows you to control when grades are released to users and what information they see.
- Allows students the opportunity to check their grades on assignments and tests, see class averages and access feedback on their assignments.
Grading System: Determines how the grade items in your grade book contribute to users’ final grades. The three options are: Weighted(e.g. 82%); Points (e.g. 220/280); Formula(custom formula).
Grade Items: Grade items represent all the work that you want to evaluate users on in a course. There are six types you can choose from, but please note that only numeric grade items can be associated with other learning tools like Assignments or Quizzes.
Instructor Tips & Best Practices for Grades
- Keep grading system simple so students know value of each assignment
- Provide students with regular feedback on how they are doing overall in the course
- Display a running total of what is graded so far by publishing the current calculated final grade
- Restricting the release of grade items you do not want seen by hiding the category or restricting through availability or release conditions
Get Started with the Grades Tool
Configure your Gradebook
- About Grading Systems
- Calculated and Adjusted Final Grades
- Grading Schemes
- Using the Setup Wizard
- Recommended Settings
Managing Grades and Grade Items
Via the Manage Grades page, you can add, edit and delete grade items and categories.
- About Grade Categories and Grade Items
- Create a Grade Item
- Delete a grade item associated with a tool
- Exclude a grade category or item from the final grade calculation
- Grade Visibility
- Reorder Grade Items and Categories
- Release Conditions
Associate Activities with Grade Items
- Associate an Activity with a Grade Item
Associate Activities with Rubrics
Extra Credit/Bonus Grade Items
- Create an extra credit grade item
Manually assign grades
- Best practices for entering grades
- Options for Entering Grades within TCU Online
- Enter Grades for a Single Grade Item for All Students, Sort and Preview Feedback, and Leave Feedback in Bulk
- Enter Grades for Any Grade Item for Any Student (Spreadsheet View)
- Enter Multiple Grades for a Single Student
- Enter Grades for Multiple Grade Items within a Category for All Students
- Grade Associated Activities Using Activity Icons in the Enter Grades Tab
- Import Grades from a .CSV File or Scantron Grades from a .XLS File
- Grades return to null after leaving feedback in the assignment submission folder
- About Exemptions
- How Grade Exemptions Affect Calculations
- How Grade Exemptions Affect Release Conditions
- Add and Remove Exemptions
- Set Multiple Grade Item Exemptions for a Student
- View Grade Category Statistics that Include Exemptions
- View Grade Item Statistics that Include Exemptions
Release Final Grades
- Final Calculated Grades
- Scenario: Final Calculated Grade Using Points System
- Scenario: Final calculated grade using Weighted system
- Final Adjusted Grades
- Inaccurate Final Grades
- Recalculate the Final Calculated Grade
- Automatic transfer overall score to a student’s grade
- Set Release Conditions for Final Grades
- Release Final Grades
- Update Final Grades for a Single Student
Restore Deleted Grade
Managing event logs in grade book
- About event logs
- Access the event log for a student
- Access the event log for an individual grade item
- Access the event log for a student’s final grades
- Access the event log for changes to a grade item’s properties or restrictions
Grade Assignments On-The-Go with Brightspace Assignment Grader
- Solution Spotlight: Tracking Hours for Internships, Practicum or Projects
- Assignment Solution for Hours Tracking – Suggestions for Instructors
- Discussion Solution for Hours Tracking – Suggestions for Instructors