Create Calculated Grade Items
You can use a calculated grade item to display a student’s cumulative achievement across multiple grade items. Unlike the calculated final grade, calculated grade items do not recognize grade category settings of the grade items they evaluate, such as exclusion or distribution options.
The following limitations apply to calculated grade items:
- Calculated grade items cannot belong to a category.
- Calculated grade items do not contribute to the calculated final grade in a points-based or weighted-based grade book.
- Calculated grade items cannot be associated with course objects such as Assignments, Discussions, and Quizzes. Only numeric grade items can be associated with course objects.
Create a calculated grade item:
- On the nav bar, click the Assessment menu, then select Grades.
- Then click Manage Grades.
- Click the New button and select Item.
- Select Calculated.
- Enter the grade item Name.
- (Optional) Enter a Short Name for the item if you’d like. The Short Name is only visible to users with access to the grade book.
- (Optional) Enter a Description if you’d like to share additional information about the grade item. By default, the Description field is collapsed, so you may need to click Show Description to expand it. Select whether or not to Allow users to view grade item description.
- Check the box under Can Exceed if students will have the option of earning more than the maximum points possible for this grade item.
- Use the Grade Scheme drop down menu to select a custom Grade Scheme if you have previously created one.
- Check the box to the left of each grade category/item you would like included in the Calculation.
- (Optional) Click the Add Rubric button to attach a rubric to the grade item. It is recommend that you create the rubric first in the Rubrics tool.
- (Optional) Override the system’s Display Options by checking the box next to the display option(s) you’d like the category to have. By default, Display Options is collapsed, so you may need to click Show Display Options to expand it. You can review the system’s Display Options by going to Course Display Options within Settings.
- Click one of the Save options at the bottom of the screen to save your changes:
- Save and Close: Saves any changes and returns you to the Manage Grades screen.
- Save and New: Saves any changes and allows you to begin creating a new grade item/category.
- Save: Saves any changes and stays on the same screen.
- Cancel: Delete grade item and return to the Manage Grades screen