Solution Spotlight: Setup the Discussion Tool for Hours Tracking
The steps below are for setting up a discussion for hours tracking. See the Solution Spotlight: Tracking Hours for Internships, Practicum or Projects page for more information about this solution.
Setup your Groups
- Go to People>Groups. Click New Category. Title the category Hours Tracking.
- For Enrollment Type, select single-user member-specific groups.
- Under Additional Options, check the box for Set up discussion areas, but do NOT set up assignment submission folders.
- On the Create Restricted Topics page, create a new discussion forum called Hours Tracking. Select “Create one topic with threads separated by group.” Add a title and description, then click Create and Next.
Set up the Grade Item
- Go to Grades > Manage Grades. Select New > Item
- Select Numeric then add a Name “Hours Tracking,” and set the maximum points 1,000, for example.
- Click Save and Close.
Setup the Discussion
- Go to Activities>Discussions and select the context arrow (downward pointing arrow to right of thread topic title) and select Edit Topic. Under assessment, associate to the Hours Tracking gradebook item and allow assessment of individual posts. The calculation option selected should be the sum of post scores.
- When viewing the threads, instructor can sort by “group” to view each individual student’s responses. Instructors can also post to all groups at once.
Continue on to the Discussion Solution for Hours Tracking – Suggestions for Instructors page.