Grades: Recommended Grades Tool Settings (for Instructors)
Before you build your grade book, we recommend that you check your settings.
Watch the Video
Recommended Settings for a Points Gradebook
Recommended Settings for a Weighted Gradebook
Read the Steps
Please find the suggestions below to walk you through the settings options:
- Open your course, select Grades from the navigation bar.
- Select Settings. This is located on the right side of the screen.
- There are three tabs across the top of the page. Select the far right tab “Calculation Options.”
- Select your preferred Grading System: Weighted, Points, or Formula to determine the overall grading setup for the course. Note: there is a ? icon next to each option, which will provide more information about each choice. Select the option that matches what is in your Syllabus.
- Select the type of Final Grade to be released. If you would like your students to see a running average for the course, it is recommended that you select Calculated Final Grade. Faculty who wish to deliver an adjusted grade at the end of the semester, will need to revisit these settings at that time. Learn more about Calculated Grade vs Adjusted Grade. Check the box for Automatically release the final grade.
- Select Grade Calculation preferences. It is recommended to select Drop ungraded items initially, otherwise, students will see a low score at the beginning of the semester due to zeros entered for assignments they have not yet been assigned:
Note: Faculty who wish to treat ungraded items as 0 at the end of the semester, will need to revise these settings at that time.
- Select Auto Update preferences: It is recommended to check the box to automatically keep final grades updated.
- Select Save then select the middle tab at the top of the page for Course Display Options.
- Enter the number of Decimals Displayed (Default is 2).
- Set your preferences for Student View Display Options:
- Check the boxes for all of the0 Grade details you wish to display to students: Points Grade, Weighted Grade, Grade scheme symbol (This would be “A, B, C” if you used a scheme with these “symbols,” Grade scheme color.
We recommend selecting the first two checkboxes for Points and weighted grade at a minimum.
- Number of decimal places to display (default is 2). This setting controls how many decimals will be displayed to a user grading a course. The value must be an integer between 0 and 5.
- Characters displayed (default is 20). This setting determines how many characters of a Text grade item users can see in their view of the Grades tool. The value must be an integer between 0 and 50. If the text item is longer than the characters displayed, the text will be truncated.
- Final Grade Calculations: check the box to display how final grade was calculcated.
- Select Save then select the left tab at the top of the page for Personal Display Options.
- Set your preferences for Managing View View Display Options, starting with User Details and Grade Details.
- Check the boxes for which User Details you want to view when grading. Note: By Default, student names display, so other User Details are not necessary for most grading scenarios.
- Check the boxes for which Grade Details you want to view when viewing the grade book. We recommend selecting the first two checkboxes for Points and weighted grade at a minimum.
- Enter the number of characters (up to 50) to display for text items. Default is 50 characters.
- Select the number of columns (up to 99) and users (up to 50) before user details and column headers repeat. We recommend leaving this at the default of 5 columns and 10 users. For most users, the grade book actually no longer repeats columns and instead the name column and assignment row are locked, so an instructor can scroll through user grades without losing the context for which and whose grades they are looking at.
- The new locked Name column / header row is present on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari web browsers in the following views:
- Standard View
- Spreadsheet View
- Grade Category
- Grade Individual Item
- Final Grades
- The existing solution that repeats the Name column and header row every x columns / rows is only available on legacy web browsers (Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge). The locked Name column /header row will not be active when using a small screen space such as a mobile device.
- Select your preference for Repeat Final Grades. By default “Repeat calculated final grade at the start of the user list” is checked. If you are using adjusted final grades, you can check the box for that option, too (or instead).
- Start Page – Once you choose your settings, we recommend that the Default Grades Area be “Enter Grades” for your course, so that when you access the Grades tool, you go directly into entering grades, rather than one of the set up views.
- Select Save, then Close.