Grades: Import Grades from a .CSV File or Scantron Grades from a .XLS File
If you have grades saved in a .CSV file, or scantron grades in a .XLS file, and wish to import them into your TCU Online gradebook, you can use the Import function.
Scantron test results are emailed to the Instructor of Record as an .XLS file. Contact TCU IT for information about Scantron procedures and support.
The steps below assume that your TCU Online grade items have already been setup.
- Select Grades from the Navigation bar.
- Select Enter Grades.
- Select the Export button to prepare and export a TCU Online compatible and properly formatted CSV file.
- Choose the Key Field, Grade Value, User Details, and Grade Item Type to include in the spreadsheet. All grade items should be checked. Click Export to CSV.
- A pop up window will appear indicating that your .CSV file is ready. Click the Download button to download the prepared file.
- Locate the TCU Online .CSV file on your computer (likely in your Downloads file) and open it in Excel.
- Sort this TCU Online .CSV file to prepare it for copy/pasting your grades into it. The following is recommend:
- Select Row 1 and then select Wrap Text so your column headers (assignment titles) are easy to read.
- Select the entire worksheet, then sort by last name (column B) A to Z. Make sure you check the box for “my list has headers” so row 1 stays at the top. Your student data should now be alphabetized by last name A to Z.
- Now, open your .CSV or Scantron .XLS file that contains the grades you wish to import. containing your Scantron grades. Make sure that these grades are also sorted and listed in alphabetical order by last name A to Z.
- 9. Select and copy the grades for your file. Then paste them into the appropriate grade item column of the downloaded TCU Online .CSV file.
- Be sure to spot check the TCU Online .CSV file to make sure that the appropriate grades were added in the correct order. Once confirmed, save the file as a CSV.
- Return to the Enter Grades area of your TCU Online gradebook.
- Select Import.
- Select/choose the .CSV file from your computer then click Continue.
- On the page that follows, any errors will appear. Click Continue.
- On the next page, a preview will display showing which grades you are importing. If everything looks as expected, click Import.
- The Grades tool will return to the Enter Grades page displaying the updated gradebook including the newly imported grades.
Learn about other Options for Entering Grades within TCU Online.