About the Content Tool
The Content tool is used to create, edit, and organize course materials such as syllabi, lecture notes, video, audio, and readings. The Content tool allows users to navigate through course content and activities.
Content can be organized into:
- Modules: Modules are like folders on your computer, and act as an organizational tool that contains information. Modules must be populated with topics (or files) in order to display content.
- Sub-Modules: Sub-Modules are simply modules nested within other modules. Similar to modules, they hold and organize topics.
- Topics: Topics are the actual content items. Topics can be created in the Learning Environment using the HTML editor or can be files uploaded into the Learning Environment (.pdf, .doc, .mp4, .ppt, etc.).
Why Use the Content Tool?
Use the Content tool to:
- Create course content and format it with the HTML Editor tool.
- Post course materials and resources such as documents, images, media files, and URL links.
- Create new or link to existing activities such as Assignments, Discussions, and Quizzes.
- Add availability and due dates to course materials.
- Change the way your course displays content.
- Notify students about updated course content.
- Monitor class and user progress as students work through course content by setting automatic (determined by the system) or manual (determined by the student) completion tracking.
- Import/Export existing content
What Tools Interact with Content?
Content interacts with a variety of tools. These tools include:
- Activities such as: Assignments, Discussions, and Quizzes
- Class Progress
- HTML Editor
- Release Conditions
Create Accessible Course Content
- About Accessible Courses and Accessible Course Content
- Compliance to Accessibility Standards in HTML-authored Content
- Design an Accessible Course
- Consider Course Material Alternatives
- Share with students how to Take Advantage of TCU Online’s Accessibility Options.
Instructor Tips & Best Practices
- Content Tool Introduction for Instructors
- About Course Content Organization
- Designing for Effective Navigation
- Building in Flexibility
- Add Learning Resources to Your Course
- Consistent Naming within your Course
Get Started with the Content Tool
- Upload Files or Create a New Topic
Add an Existing Activity
- Add an Existing Course Object to Content
- Add External Learning Tool into a Module
- Integrate Content from your Google Drive
- Use the Accessibility Checker on HTML-authored Content
- Format HTML Course Content
- Insert Stuff
- Insert Image
- Insert Quicklinks
- Fix Broken Links in Content
- Notify Students about Updated Course Content
- Personalize your Content with Replace Strings
- Change Content Display Settings
Availability and Restrictions
User Progress and Assessment in Content
- View User Progress in Content
- Evaluate Assignment Submissions from Content
- Managing & Tracking Content Completion and Participation
- Course Content Statistics
- Check Course Content Feedback
Content Frequently Asked Questions