About the Assignments Tool
Assignments is a management tool used for student submission of assignments (eg. papers, etc.). It enables students to submit assignments or files in TCU Online, eliminating the need to email work to instructors. Students will simply upload their submission to the appropriate assignment, and submit.
As an instructor, you have ongoing access to all items submitted to an assignment. This allows you to have an archive of student work, in case you need to consult it later for questions about grading, recommendation letters, etc. Using the Assignments tool for submission of student papers also allows you to use TurnItIn to assist you in plagiarism detection and teaching students about proper citations.
Why use the Assignments Tool?
Use the Assignments tool to:
- Set-up assignments and organize assignments into categories to group and organize similar assignments.
- Restrict access by date, time, group membership and/or special access permissions.
- Associate assignments to rubrics, grade items, and competencies.
- See individual or group submission time & date.
- Exempt students from the assignment.
- Download assignments to your computer.
- View submissions with the document viewer on the Leave Feedback page.
- Evaluate non-submissions and system-external submissions.
- Return submissions with grades and feedback.
- Check for plagiarism detection using TurnItIn’s Originality Check and leave inline feedback through TurnItIn’s GradeMark tool.
- Use search and filter options to find students’ submitted files by username, submission history, and feedback received.
What Tools Interact with Assignments?
- Class Progress
About TurnItIn Integration with the Assignments Tool
TurnItIn is a cloud-based solution with capabilities in originality checking and online grading using their OriginalityCheck and GradeMark tools. TurnItIn saves instructors time and facilitates personalized feedback for students.
OriginalityCheck lets you monitor assignment submissions and identify potential cases of plagiarism by automatically comparing submissions to an online database of original content. You can then view Originality Reports, which highlight key areas, show a breakdown of matching sources, and provide direct links to the matching content.
You can also take advantage of the integrated GradeMark, which lets you add comments, inline text, and highlight sections in file submissions, directly from the Assignments tool.
Note: The use of TurnItIn combined with the special access features in the Assignments tool is not supported. If you set a due date for a student with special access that is different than the due date set on the TurnItIn tab, the TurnItIn due date does not change.
Get Started with the Assignments tool
Create your Assignments
Availability, restrictions and special access
- Set Availability and Due Dates for an Assignment
- Set Visibility of Assignment Content
- Add Special Access to an Assignment
- Set Release Conditions for an Assignment
Assessing Assignment Submissions
- About Assessing Assignment Submissions
- Add Feedback and Evaluate Assignment Submissions
- Anonymous Marking of Assignment Submissions
- Grades Return to Null after Leaving Feedback for an Assignment (coming soon)
Logs and Deleted Submissions
- Evaluate Assignment Submissions Offline
- Use the Brightspace Assignment Grader app to assess assignments
Assignments and TurnItIn
- What File types are Supported in OriginalityCheck ?
- View Similarity Reports from Turnitin’s OriginalityCheck