Assign Scores to Students from the Assess Topic Page
You can assess users from inside a discussion topic while reading posts or from the Assess Topic dialog box. When assessing users from the Assess Topic dialog box, you can see topic scores for all users and view all of a user’s posts together on one screen.
Assessable topics display an Includes assessment icon beside the topic name on the Discussions List page. If you select the A moderator must approve individual posts before they display in the topic setting, you must approve posts in the topic before you can assess them. For more information, see Moderate Discussion Posts and Threads.
To assess individual posts, you must edit the topic to enable the Allow assessment of individual posts check box in the Assessments tab. For more information about this setting, see Configure a Discussion Topic for Assessment.
- On the nav bar, click the Activities menu, then select Discussions.
- From the context menu of the topic you want to assess, click Assess Topic. If the Score column is empty on the Assess Topic page, click the Manage Columns button, select the Score Value check box, and click Save.
- Do one of the following:
- In the Users tab, click Topic Score for the name of the user you want to assess.
- In the Assessments tab, click the name of the user you want to assess.
- In the Topic Score Details window, do any of the following:
- If Allow assessment of individual posts is enabled, enter a value in the Score column beside each post you want to assess.
- If Allow assessment of individual posts is not enabled, assign a value in the Topic Score to reflect the learner’s participation in the whole topic.
- If evaluating with a rubric, complete the rubric with a level and feedback for each criterion. For more information, see Evaluate a Discussion Post with a Rubric.
- In the General Feedback field, enter any comments that you have.
- Now either:
- If the topic is associated with a grade item, click Publish or Save Draft.
- Publish will immediately share your comments with your students.
- Save Draft will publish the feedback to students at a later time.
- If the topic is not associated with a grade item, click Save and Close.