Set Availability and Due Dates for a Discussion Forum or Topic
Instructors can set the Availability for a Discussion in the Discussions tool, and in Content if the discussion topic exists as a content topic within a module. When an instructor updates the Availability for a discussion in the Discussions tool, it is automatically updated in the associated content topic, and vise versa.
Recommended: Instead of scheduling a topic to disappear as soon as you want the discussion to end, consider locking the topic at that point and keeping it visible for another few days. This allows students to review the discussion after it closes so that they don’t miss the last posts added. Learn more about Locking a Discussion Forum or Topic.
Set Availability for a Discussion from the Discussions Tool
- On the nav bar, click the Activities menu, then select Discussions.
- On the Discussions page, from the context menu of the forum or topic.
- If you haven’t already, follow the steps to Create a Discussion Forum and Create an Open or Group Discussion Topic.
- On the Discussions page, from the context menu of the discussion you want to set dates for, click Edit Topic.
- Click on the Restrictions tab.
- Make sure the Hide from Users box is unchecked.
- Update the Availability section if desired. Use the provided fields to set your dates. The start date determines when a discussion becomes visible to students. The end date determines when a discussion is no longer visible to students. Instructors can also select to display these dates in the Calendar.
- Click Save and Close.
Set Availability and Due Dates for a Discussion from the Content Tool
Currently, Due Dates for discussions can only be set from within the Content tool. If you have not done so already, see Add a Discussion to a Content Module to add your existing discussion to Content.
- On the nav bar, click the Content link.
- Select the module in which the discussion exists as a content topic.
- Click the context menu next to the discussion and select Edit Properties in Place.
- Click on Add dates and restrictions.
- Click on Add start date… Add due date… and/or Add end date…
- Enter the dates and times into the editable fields.
- Click Update to save the dates.
- To remove a date, click the “X” next to the editable field. Then, click Update.