Create/Customize the Submission View for a Quiz
Submission views can be created to allow students to go back and review a submitted quiz. Customizing the submission view allows instructors to choose what information the student sees upon completing and going back to review a quiz. Note: Quizzes with written responses or short answers requiring grading will not display automatically until feedback is given and the quiz has been graded. Also, providing a submission view will not allow the student to re-enter the quiz and modify their responses.
- Customize the Default View (not recommended). The Default view is what students see immediately upon submitting their quiz. The Default view typically does not allow students to see answers to a quiz, but does allow them to view their score on auto-graded items. If you adjust the Default view to allow students to see the answers to a quiz, keep in mind the Default view is what students see as soon as they submit their quiz. Thus, showing answers in the Default view while the quiz is still in progress would reveal answers to the quiz before all students have submitted the quiz.
- Add and customize an Additional View (recommended). Additional views, therefore, can be created with a specified release date and time that allows you to release information, or answers, after a certain time. For example, an Additional view could be created for after all students have submitted the quiz (or after the quiz is closed) to allow students to view which questions they answered correctly and/or incorrectly, as well as answers to questions. Another Additional view could also be created to allow students to see the class statistics and could be set to release at the end of the term. If a quiz has multiple attempts, you can also specify a score required on an attempt in order to release the submission view.
- Create a second Additional View within the Submission Views tab and name it “Shutdown View.” Select No in the View Details section and select the date/time you would like the first additional view to close to your students. Important Note: This second additional view will “shutdown” the first additional view as only the most recent submission view is the active one. This will ensure that your quiz questions and answers are not available past the time you plan to have it available.
Directions for the three options are below.
Curious about how students view submission views?
Create/Customize a Submission View:
- On the navbar, click the Activities menu, then select Quizzes.
- On the Manage Quizzes page, from the context menu of the quiz, click Edit.
- Select the Submission Views tab.
Customize the Default Submission View (not recommended)
- Select the blue link for Default View.
- View Properties and Details include the following:
- The Default view includes a message to students stating, “Your quiz has been submitted successfully.” You can modify this message if desired.
- By Default, students will not be able to see any questions/answers upon submission of their quiz. You can adjust whether questions/answers are shown to students. Keep in mind the Default view is what students will see immediately upon submission of their quiz.
- By Default, students will see their score on questions that can be auto-graded. You can unselect this.
- You can allow students to see class statistics if desired.
- Once you are done adjusting the Default submission view, click Save.
Add and Customize an Additional View (recommended):
- If you would like to set up an Additional view, click Add Additional View. This will allow the instructor to decide what students see and when.
- Additional View Properties, Restrictions, and Details include the following:
- Name: Give the submission view a name such as Post Quiz 1 View (the view is required to have a name).
- Message: Add a message to students if desired.
- Date/time Restrictions: Choose when students can begin accessing the submission view.
- IP Restrictions: (Not available with the TCU Network).
- Limit Duration: Check the “Limited Duration” box if you want students to only be able to access the submission view for a short period immediately after completing the quiz. This box should not be used if you want to let students review at a future date (e.g., at an in-class review a week later, after all other students have submitted).
- Also Note: If you require Respondus Lockdown Browser for students to view their quiz submissions, you will NOT be able to set a time limit for the submission view as nothing will appear when students launch Lock Down Browser to access the submission view.
- View Details: Select what you would like students to be able to view.
- Show Questions – Yes/No.
- If Yes – there are many options for what students see including correct/incorrect questions/answers, etc. You must select show questions with user responses in order for students to see feedback on individual questions.
- Score: Show attempt score and overall attempt score if desired.
- Statistics: If desired, show class statistics including Class Average and Score Distribution.
- Once you have finished adjusting the settings for the Additional View, click Save.
- Click Save and Close.
Add a Shutdown View:
- Create a second Additional View within the Submission Views tab and name it “Shutdown View”. Select No in the View Details section and select the date/time you want the fist additional view to close to students. This second additional view will “shutdown” the first additional view as only the most recent submission view is the active one. This will ensure that your quiz questions and answers are not available past the time you plan to have it available.
2. When completed, your Submission View may look like this: