Set Grading Preferences and Attempts for Quizzes
The assessment tab allows you to set up the grading portion of the quiz. Some key settings are:
- Automatic Grade: When this setting is turned on users can see their score as soon as they submit their attempt. The score displayed is only what the system can auto-grade. This setting must be turned on for grades to be automatically sent to the grade book. Note: If the quiz contains questions that cannot be auto-graded (Written Response Questions), the questions will be given a 0 until the questions are manually graded.
- Grade Item and Auto-Export to Grades: You can attach the quiz to a grade item here. If no grade item exists, you can create it directly from this tool. If you check off Allow Auto-Export, the auto-gradable questions will feed to the grade book as soon as the quiz is submitted
- Attempts: You can choose to allow a certain number of attempts and decide how the grade for those attempts will be calculated.
- On the navbar, click the Activities menu, then select Quizzes.
- On the Manage Quizzes page, from the context menu of the quiz, click Edit.
- Click on the Assessment tab, do any of the following:
- In the Assessment area, select the box to Allow attempt to be set as graded immediately upon completion if you want the system to immediately auto-grade the questions that it can.
- Use the Grade Item drop-down menu to associate the quiz with the appropriate grade item in your gradebook.
- If you want the quiz grade to populate automatically in the grade book, check the box to Allow automatic export to grades.
- In the Assessment tab, in the Attempts area, set how many attempts a student can make on a quiz. If you selected to allow multiple attempts, select how multiple attempts are calculated: e.g. highest attempt, lowest attempt, average of all attempts, first attempt, or last attempt. You can also set the minimum and maximum percentage score that a learner must achieve on a previous attempt to qualify for another attempt, if you leave these boxes blank then there will be now restrictions on accessing the attempts. Note: You may have to click Save in order for the Advanced Attempt Conditions to appear.
- Click Save and Close.