Set Grading Preferences and Attempts for Quizzes
The assessment tab allows you to set up the grading portion of the quiz. Some key settings are:
- Automatic Grade: When this setting is turned on users can see their score as soon as they submit their attempt. The score displayed is only what the system can auto-grade. This setting must be turned on for grades to be automatically sent to the grade book. Note: If the quiz contains questions that cannot be auto-graded (Written Response Questions), the questions will be given a 0 until the questions are manually graded.
- Grade Item and Auto-Export to Grades: You can attach the quiz to a grade item here. If no grade item exists, you can create it directly from this tool. If you check off Allow Auto-Export, the auto-gradable questions will feed to the grade book as soon as the quiz is submitted
- Attempts: You can choose to allow a certain number of attempts and decide how the grade for those attempts will be calculated. Instructors can also allow students to only retake their incorrectly answered questions from previous quiz attempts.
- On the navbar, click the Activities menu, then select Quizzes.
- On the Manage Quizzes page, from the context menu of the quiz, click Edit.
- Click on the Assessment tab, do any of the following:
- In the Assessment area, select the box to Allow attempt to be set as graded immediately upon completion if you want the system to immediately auto-grade the questions that it can.
- Use the Grade Item drop-down menu to associate the quiz with the appropriate grade item in your gradebook.
- If you want the quiz grade to populate automatically in the grade book, check the box to Allow automatic export to grades.
- In the Attempts area, do any of the following:
- Set how many attempts a student can make on a quiz. If you select anything other than 1 (default), click Apply to view Optional Advanced Attempt Conditions.
- To allow students to only retake incorrect questions, select the On new attempts, only allow answers for previously incorrect questions check box. When this setting is selected, students who attempt a quiz more than once can only answer questions that were incorrect on the previous attempt. If you are using Automatic grading, Written Response questions will be marked as 0 and included in future attempts until they are graded manually.
- If the number of attempts allowed is greater than 1, Instructors must determine how the final grade is calculated. From the Overall Grade Calculation drop-down menu, select one of the following options:
- Highest attempt – Only the attempt with the highest grade is used as the final grade.
- Lowest attempt – Only the attempt with the lowest grade is used as the final grade.
- Average of all attempts – The average of the grades on all attempts is calculated and used as the final grade.
- First attempt – Only the grade on the first attempt is used as the final grade.
- Last attempt – Only the grade on the last attempt is used as the final grade.
- If the number of attempts allowed is greater than 1, an optional feature under Advanced Attempt Conditions allows you to determine minimum and/or maximum scores that must be achieved by the learner to obtain the additional attempts.
Note: If you enter a minimum score, then learners must achieve that set minimum score to receive the subsequent attempt. For example, if you only want learners who receive greater than 50% to receive a subsequent attempt, you can enter that value in the Min % field.
If you enter a maximum score, then learners can achieve up to that limit to receive subsequent attempts, but not greater than that limit. For example, if you only want learners who receive below 80% on the quiz to receive an additional attempt, you can enter that value in the Max % field.
- Click Save and Close.