Migrate vs. Create a Course
The migration request process will move your existing course from eCollege to D2L. However, creating your course in D2L by hand presents a good opportunity to start from scratch. Here are some things to consider.
Migrate a Course Pros:
- The migration procedure is simple to initiate.
- For most courses, this is likely to require the least effort.
- Most course items will migrate well.
- Migrated courses will serve as a Master course for you to use as a source to copy FROM into your blank shells for the official terms.
- If the result is not to your liking you can still choose to build in your official course from scratch.
Migrate a Course Cons:
- Some items might need significant reconfiguring anyway.
- A migrated course that hasn’t been checked thoroughly might have some lurking problems.
- There may be more appropriate ways to organize the course in D2L.
- A migrated course may not take full advantage of D2L features that eCollege doesn’t have.
Create a Course Pros:
- Course creation is an opportunity for a fresh look at course material.
- Outdated or unwanted materials won’t clutter up the new course.
- Creating a course is a good exercise in learning D2L.
- The resulting course may be organized more appropriately for D2L.
- The Course Builder feature of D2L may make the process less cumbersome.
Create a Course Cons:
- Depending on the size and complexity of the course it might involve significantly more effort.