Groups: Student Group Discussions Remain after Course Drop
When a student drops from a course, they also drop from their group enrollment (visibly) from the groups tool. HOWEVER: Behind the scenes in TCU Online (in the users tool administrators use) the students still remain as enrolled in the group.
If a single, user group was created and discussions associated, the student’s discussions and responses remain in the discussions tool.
Per the helpdesk this is a closed bug due to expected designed behavior.
“When a user is unenrolled from a course, by design their groups and work will remain. The reasoning is that if they were to be re-enrolled, we’d want those group enrollments and their work in tact.”
If faculty encounter this and would prefer for the student’s discussions to no longer appear in your course:
- Unlike the Assignments tool, Discussions will always remain even when a student is dropped from the course or group.
- Faculty can do one of those things:
- Delete the single-user group with the student’s name by going to groups, select the group category, then checking the box next to the student name and click Delete. This will delete the group any any associated activities (assignments, threads).
- Delete just the discussion topic by going to Activities>Discussions and selecting the context menu for the discussion topic, then selecting Delete.
- If a student re-enrolls in the course, the instructor, at anytime, can restore the discussion topic and responses by going to Activites>Discussions and selecting More Actions then select Restore. They then find the topic and restore it.