Create a Welcome Video for your Course with Video Note
Video Note allows instructors to create up to a 3-minute video to provide students with information. This might include updates about the class, modules, or content items, as well as feedback on activities in the course. In an online course, Video Note allows you to add a face to a name, and is a great way to create a personal connection between students and instructors.
In both online and face-to-face courses, instructors can use Video Note within the Announcements tool to welcome students to the class. In this welcome video, make sure to introduce yourself, briefly explain what you hope students will gain by experiencing your course, and any general introductory expectations you might have.
To create a welcome Announcement with a Video Note:
- On the course homepage, click the Announcements context menu and select New Announcement.
- Enter a Headline for your announcement.
- In the Content box with the HTML Editor, click the Insert Stuff icon.
- Select Video Note.
- When your browser prompts you to allow camera and microphone access, click Allow.
- Click New Recording to record your video. Click Stop Recording when you finish recording.
- To preview your recorded video note, click the Play icon on the video.
- If you want to re-record, click New Recording. If you are satisfied with your recording, click Next.
- Enter a title and description of your video note. A description is useful to users who are unable to view the video and/or are using assistive technology.
- Click Next. At this point, your video note is saved and can be found later using Video Note Search. If you have permission to search for and insert video notes, you can reuse this video in the future.
- If you are ready to insert the video note into your announcement, click Insert. A preview of your video will appear in the content area of the announcement.
- Within the content area, type the welcome message to appear with your video note. To ensure all students have access to your welcome, follow necessary accessibility guidelines by including a transcript of your video. The welcome message text can be your transcript. Or, you can type the welcome text in a Word document and add the file to the announcement.
- Set the Availability of your announcement by selecting a Start and End Date if you want your announcement to be available for set period of time.
- Click Publish.